Before knowing about UAN and the process of generating and register it, it is important to know about EPF. The EPF or the Employee’s Provident Fund is an after-retirement scheme. In this scheme, the employees are benefited from a pension after their retirement. The EPF scheme was introduced by the EPFO or the Employee’s Provident Fund Organisation Of India. All the companies with more than 20 employees should register with the EPFO. In this article we will read about Register, Generate & Activate EPF UAN.
What Is UAN?
The next most question is what is UAN and how is it connected with EPFO. The UAN or the Universal Account Number is a number that the EPFO gives to each employee. This UAN number is important as all the online process of EPFO is done with the help of the UAN number. The UAN helps both the employee and the employer in various ways. The employee can check and ensure that his/her PF money is safe, as nobody can access it. On the other hand, the employer gets spared from verifying the details of the employee as the UAN has all the verified details.
The UAN is a 12-digit number, which the EPFO provides to each employee. This particular number remains the same throughout the employee’s career. Even if you change your job, the UAN number will remain constant. However, the EPFO will give you a new member ID number for your new job. This ID number is then linked with the UAN. In simple language, all your ID numbers for every job you have done is under the UAN. With this, it becomes easier to manage your EPF account.
How To Know Your UAN?
In case you forget your UAN number, you can always get them by using any one of the below methods.
1. From Employer
You can easily get your UAN number from the employer, as the employer is the one through which the number is sent to you. Most of the employers even print the UAN number on the payslips. You can see the payslips and get your UAN number.
2. From EPFO website
In case you do not get the UAN number from your payslips, you can always receive it from the EPFO website. Below are the steps which you need to follow to know your UAN number.
- Go to the UAN website: https://unifiedportal-mem.epfindia.gov.in/memberinterface/.
- Next, click on “Know your UAN status.”
- You would see a page where you need to fill in your state, EPFO office, and other details like name, member ID, mobile number, and as such.
- Click on “Get authorization PIN.”
- You would get a PIN on your phone. Enter the PIN on the box and click on the “Validate OTP and get UAN” option
- You will get your UAN number on your phone number.
Register & Generate EPF UAN Through Online Process Using Aadhar
If you have not yet registered for your UAN number, we will help you with the process. By following the steps below, you can easily get your UAN number.
i. Visit the site https://unifiedportal-mem.epfindia.gov.in/memberinterface/.
ii. Select the option “Important Link,” below which you have to select the option, “Online Aadhar Verified UAN allotment.”
iii. You will see a new page where you need to fill in your mobile number. Make sure that the mobile number you enter is the one that is linked to your Aadhar card.
iv. You will receive the OTP on your registered phone number. Enter the OTP in the next dialogue box and click “Submit.”
v. The next screen will have a question “Are You employed in any private company/factory/establishment?”
vi. If you select the option “No,” then you will see a new screen.
- On this screen, fill in your Aadhar number and captcha code. After that, select “Generate OTP.”
- On the new screen, you will see your details, as shown in your Aadhar card. Fill the details and click on the “Register” option.
- Once you select the “Register” option, you will get your UAN number on the new screen.
vii. If you select the option “Yes,” you have to select the appropriate “Employment category.”
- If you select the employment category as “In the establishment covered under EPFO,” then you have to answer the question, “Do you know your PF number of the establishment?”
- If you know your PF number, select “Yes” and then fill in the PF number.
- Click on the “select” option and then cross-check the details.
- If you do not know the EPF code, then fill in the establishment details and then click on the “Save” option to get your UAN number allotted.
- If you select the employment option as “In the Establishment/company not covered under EPFO,” you have to provide the Establishment details to get your UAN allotment.
- If you select the employment option as “Self-employed,” you have to provide your Aadhar number to get the UAN Allotment.
Documents Required To Generate UAN
There are certain documents that you need to provide if you are starting your job for the first time. Here is the list of the documents which you need to provide for the process.
a. Identity proof such as passport, Voter ID card, or Driving license
b. Address proof like ration card, utility bill in your name or rental agreement
c. Bank account details like the IFSC code, bank account number, and branch details
d. PAN or Permanent Account Number card
e. Aadhar card
f. ESIC or the Employee State Insurance Corporation card
Activate & Login To EPFO Using UAN
Once you have got your UAN number, you need to activate it to use the UAN. To activate the UAN on the EPFO portal, you need to follow the below steps.
i. Go to the homepage of the EPFO portal.
ii. Select the option “Our services,” after which you have to select the option “For Employees.”
iii. After that, you have to select the option “Member UAN/Online Services” option, which will take you to the portal of UAN.
iv. Here, enter your UAN number, mobile number, PF member ID, and captcha code, after which select the option, “Get Authorization PIN.”
v. You will receive the PIN in your phone number, which you must enter in the dialogue box.
vi. You will reach a screen with a disclaimer box. Select the “I agree” option and then click on the option “Validate OTP and Activate UAN.”
vii. After the activation of UAN, you will get a password. Use this password to access your account.
Linking UAN With Aadhar Card
By linking your UAN with an Aadhar card, you will get certain benefits. By doing so, the settlement process becomes faster, and you will get all the services.
To link UAN with Aadhar card, there are four methods. You can follow any one of the methods to link your UAN with Aadhar. However, it would help if you ensured that your UAN is active before linking it with your Aadhar card.
1. Through Umang App
Umang is the Aadhar app, which we use to make certain changes in the Aadhar card and even register for an Aadhar card. Through this app, you can even link your UAN with your Aadhar card. For linking the Aadhar with your UAN, you need to follow the steps stated below.
- Select the “All Services” tab, where you would see many options.
- Select the “EPFO” option from the menu
- Now, select the “eKYC services” option.
- After that, you need to select the “Aadhar Seeding” option.
- Now, enter the UAN in the dialogue box and select the “Get OTP” option.
- You will receive an OTP in the phone number which you have registered with your EPFO account.
- Enter the “OTP” and then enter your Aadhar details in the next screen
- Now, you will get another OTP to the phone number, which is registered with your Aadhar card.
- After the OTP verification is done, you will find the Aadhar details match with your UAN details.
2. Through Unified Portal Of EPF
Another method by which you can link your UAN with Aadhar card is through the unified portal of EPF.
- Go to the unified portal page of EPF (https://unifiedportal-mem.epfindia.gov.in/memberinterface/) and log in with your UAN number.
- Now, you have to select the “Manage” option and then select the “KYC” option.
- After selecting the KYC option, you will get a drop-down menu. From this drop-down menu, select the “Aadhar” option.
- Now, enter your Aadhar card number and your name, as written in the Aadhar card.
- After filling in the details, select the “Save” option
- You will see the “Pending KYC” option after this. The Pending KYC will be sent to your employer. Once the employer approves the KYC, you will see the status as “Approved KYC,” which means your Aadhar is now linked with UAN.
3. Through OTP verification in EPFO
You can even link your Aadhar card with UAN through OTP verification in the e-KYC portal of EPFO. Follow the below steps to link UAN with Aadhar card with this process.
- First, you need to visit the EPFO portal page, which is https://iwu.epfindia.gov.in/eKYC/.
- Here, you need to click on the “Link UAN Aadhar” option, which you will find under “For EPFO Members.”
- Next, you need to enter your UAN and your registered mobile number.
- Click on “Generate OTP”
- After your receiver, the OTP, enter it in the dialogue box.
- Now, enter your Aadhar card number and verify it by clicking on the “Using Mobile/Email based OTP” option.
- Once the OTP verification is done, enter the captcha code and click on the “Submit” option.
- Your UAN is now linked with your Aadhar card.
4. Through Biometric credentials in EPFO
Another effective method of linking Aadhar card with UAN is verifying biometric details in the e-KYC section of the EPFO portal. Here are the steps which you need to follow to link your UAN with Aadhar card through this method.
- Go to the EPFO portal by clicking on this link; https://iwu.epfindia.gov.in/eKYC/.
- Here, click on the “Link UAN Aadhar” option, which you can find under the “EPFO Members” section.
- Enter your UAN number and your registered mobile number.
- Enter the OTP in the dialogue box and then input your Aadhar card details.
- Verify your Aadhar card details by selecting the “Using Biometrics” option.
- By using a registered biometric device, your biometrics will be captured.
- After the verification of Aadhar details is done using the biometrics option, your Aadhar card will get linked with your UAN.
Benefits Of Having UAN
There are certain benefits that you will get if you register for the UAN. Some of the major benefits of having UAN are discussed below.
- If you register for UAN, all your member IDs will fall into one place. No matter how many jobs you change, you will find all member IDs under your UAN.
- You can easily withdraw money from your PF account with UAN.
- UAN allows you to transfer the balance from old PF to new PF without any hassle.
- UAN helps EPFO to track the change in jobs and maintain the record.
- Due to UAN, any untimely or early withdrawals from the EPF account is not possible.
- UAN makes it easier to verify the details of the employee when they change their jobs.
- UAN makes sure that the employers do not get any access to the PF money of the employees.
- With the help of UAN, the employees can check whether the employers are depositing in the PF account or not.
The government has made it mandatory to register for UAN due to the above-stated reasons. You will get benefits if you register for UAN. The UAN makes sure that your money is safe, and nobody gets hold of it without your access. Moreover, as the world is becoming more digitalized, UAN will help you withdraw and transferring money from the online portal securely. With the help of your UAN number, you can even check the balance in your EPF account. Not only that, but UAN also makes it easier to apply for a PF loan. As all the details are already verified during registration, it becomes easier for the bank to provide the employees with a PF loan. Through the UAN portal, you can even generate and activate your UAN without your employer’s help. The process is simple and is secure too.