The Pension Payment Order Number or the PPO number is essential for the pensioners. It works the same way as the UAN works for the employees. The number helps the pensioners in getting their pension benefits. It helps them to check pension status, know pension amount, and many more. The employee gets a PPO while claiming for the pension rights.
The Pension Disbursing Agency appoints a unique 12 digit number for every pensioner. This number is known as the PPO number. Here, we would help you know the importance of PPO number is useful and how you can find your PPO number.
How To Know Your PPO Number
If you have forgotten or you want to know your PPO number, then you can get it by following these steps.
Time needed: 2 minutes
1. Visit the government website
The official website of EPFO. The website is www.epfindia.gov.in.
2. Click on pensioner’s portal
Under the “online services” tab, click on the “pensioner’s portal” option.
3. Select the “Know your PPO number” option
After selecting the “pensioner’s portal” option, you will get to see a new page. On this new page, you have to select the “know your PPO number” option. You can get this option in the drop-down menu located on the left-hand side of the page.
4. Enter Bank account number
In the dialogue box, you have to enter your bank account number. Make sure that you enter the bank account number, which is linked to your pension.
5. Click Submit
Click on the “Submit” option.
You will get to see your PPO number, member ID, and pension type that you are eligible for.
You can also know your PPO number by selecting the “Know your pension status” option from the drop-down menu. After that, enter your Jeevan Pramaan ID. You will get to see your pension status, Jeevan Pramaan ID, and your PPO number in the tabular format.
Another alternative method to know your PPO number is as below
- Visit the website https://mis.epfindia.gov.in/PensionPaymentEnquiry/RegionCodeController.
- On the new screen, you have to enter your Member ID.
- Make sure that you enter the member ID as per the format on the screen. After filling out the member ID, select the “Submit” option.
- After selecting the “Submit” option, you will get your PPO number on the screen. You will also get other details like the type of pension and many more. It would also help you in knowing the type of pension that you are eligible for.
Why Is PPO Number Important?
The PPO number is important for the employees. When an employee is changing jobs, then he/she needs the PPO number to transfer the pension amount. Moreover, a person needs the PPO number to withdraw the pension amount from the account. The PPO number is required in every pension-related process.
Without the PPO number, an employee will not be able to get his/her pension benefits. Even after the employee has retired, he/she needs the PPO number for availing pension. The employee has to provide the Digital Life Certificate every year, and for this, he/she needs a PPO number. For every process, the person needs to know his/her PPO number. In the case of a widow or child pension, the claimant must know the deceased employee’s PPO number. Without knowing the PPO number, the claimant cannot have any pension-related benefits.
Moreover, a pensioner needs to link a bank account with the PPO number. This bank account will be the one where the pensioner will receive his/her monthly pension. Hence, it is advisable to link a savings bank account with the PPO number.
New Changes By Government
The EPFO has recently announced that the PPO and UAN numbers are now present in the Digi Locker. Digi Locker is the government’s locker service, where one can now find their PPO and UAN number.
The main question here is, what is Digi Locker? Digi Locker is the initiative that the government took to provide storage space to the people. People can use this service to upload important documents and get access to it from anywhere. You need to make an account in Digi Locker to use its various facilities. You only need to enter your Aadhar number and mobile number. Make sure that the mobile number is linked with the Aadhar card.
After doing so, you can now upload all your important documents and access them from anywhere. The application is available in both Google Play Store as well as the App Store. If you want to access your UAN or PPO number, you need to enter your Aadhar card number for this.
How Can I Sign Up On Digi Locker Website?
You can sign up for the Digi Locker application by following the below steps.
- Visit the official website of Digi Locker: https://digilocker.gov.in/.
- Now, select the “Sign-up” option.
- You will get to see a new webpage. On this webpage, you have to enter your mobile number or Aadhar card number. After doing so, select the “Continue” option.
- You will receive an OTP in the linked phone number, enter the OTP and then select the “Continue” option. Remember that the OTP is valid only for 10 minutes.
- On the new page, you have to enter your name, date of birth, gender, and email ID. After entering all the details, select the “submit” option.
- If you have given your mobile number while signing up, you will have to enter your Aadhar card number on the new page. You have the option to skip it and provide the Aadhar card number later.
- On a new page, you have to set-up a 6-digit security PIN. Confirm the PIN by re-typing the PIN. You need to remember this PIN as you need it to log in to your account.
How To Access PPO or UAN Number From Digi Locker?
You can access your PPO and UAN number from the Digi Locker by following the below steps.
- Sign in to your Digi Locker account by using your Aadhar card number and PIN. If you do not have an account, then sign-up for your account by following the steps above.
- On the new page, click on the “Issued documents.”
- You will get to see a new webpage. On this webpage, you have to select the option “Get more issued documents.”
- On the new page, select the “Central Government” option. Select the “Employees Provident Fund Organisation” option from the drop-down menu
- You will be taken to a new webpage. Here, you can see your Pension Certificate and UAN Card.
- Select any one of the documents. Enter your PPO /UAN number and then select the “Get Document” option. The document will then get downloaded in the PDF format, and you can save it on your device.
1. Is it necessary to fill out the PPO number in the form while claiming the pension?
Yes, you have to fill out the PPO number in any pension-related form. Without this 12-digit number, you cannot get any access to pension-related benefits.
2. I have forgotten my PPO number. How can I get my PPO number?
You can get your PPO number by visiting the official website of EPFO. Select the “pensioner’s portal” option. After that, select the “Know your PPO number” and then enter your bank account number. You will get your PPO number on the screen.
3. Are PPO numbers and UAN the same?
No, PPO number and UAN are two different numbers. The PPO number is used for any pension-related process. On the other hand, the UAN number is used for all EPF related processes.
4. Can anyone get access to my PPO number from Digi Locker?
A person needs to know the Aadhar card number and the PIN to log in to the Digi Locker account. Nobody can get access to the documents without knowing the Aadhar card number and PIN. Besides that, the person also needs to know the UAN or PPO number to access any of the issued documents present in the Digi Locker.